Skeleton has Moved Offices (But Not Far)By Lydia Cockerham | 10:34 am on February 19, 2016
So everyone. We have an update for you all.
We're happy to announce we've taken a few big steps forward. About 20, in fact.
In other words, we've moved offices just down the corridor!
Yes, we're still in the same location, in the same building, on the same floor.
But let's not dampen the exhilaration of this development. We're now in a much larger, brighter and more flexible space.
We're all very excited, because this means not only a bigger and more comfortable area for us to work, play, make coffee, eat lunch together and torment be lovely to the dog in, but also the opportunity for much more growth in the future.
The truth is, we have big plans. We knew we needed:
- More room for future (and existing) team members
- A more relaxed breakout space for holding informal, creative meetings
- A more quiet, enclosed area for our post-production team
- Flexibility for whatever comes our way in the next few years
And luckily we found somewhere close by that fit the bill perfectly. Well, it would have been hard for us to find anywhere closer, unless we decided to move into the supply cupboard.
Oh, and we filmed the experience.
Here's what we learned:
- Moving office is a real pain in the ass, but also a great bonding experience
- Fish tanks have a mind of their own and their cables can creep up on you when you least expect it
- Computer cables exist in an alternate universe where they cannot be plugged into the right hole, no matter how many times you switch them around (and in the end your first choice inevitably turns out to have been correct all along)
- Phone systems are the spawn of the devil
- Don't mess with carpet tiles. Those things will screw you up
- There's always too much stuff and not enough places to put it, even when your office space doubles in size (WHERE DID ALL THESE CABLES COME FROM?!)
- A shift in perspective is really good for invigorating and re-energising your brain
Yes, it was a difficult process, but we've come out of the other side a better business because of it.
Not only are we more prepared for the future, but we're also enjoying a more comfortable and productive present right now. It's quite miraculous what a fresh new space can do to your creativity, energy and motivation. So in short, it was totally worth it, despite all the complaining.
Would we do it again? Absolutely. Just not in the next 5 years.
(PS: Fancy celebrating in our new space with us? Click on the button right there!)